Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Nov. 12, 2013

Abbey will be teaching us how to incorporate all Social Media into our lives.
Bring your laptops, iphones, smartphones, Androids, Ewoks, and Darth Vaders. I'll bring a wireless card.

As we have so often heard, we need to have a online Presence to get the best out of our publishing expectations - whether they are for hard cover "brick & mortor" books, e-books, blogs, columns, or just a great following.

I have to tell you, this is so hard for me. I am at heart a very private person. I have a very close circle of friends. I love to talk to strangers when the line ahead of me is long. But on the whole, I just don't understand who all there is to talk to and how one finds time to read all the massive amounts of material (don't you love alliteration?) that is foisted at me on line.

At my day job (no, teaching is more than just a job, I absolutely love it), I had to learn how to use a smartboard. I do miss my chalk. But the smartboard allows me to do all sorts of things to enhance instruction. It's fun. I can't print on it to save my life, and my students can't read cursive (they don't teach cursive anymore), but other than that, I will begrudgingly admit that smartboards are good.

I still have a tracfone. I use it for emergencies. It doesn't have internet. Well, it does, but I can't figure out how to get it to work. It has a camera. I can text on it. But I have never had that overwhelmiing desire to call people at the crack of dawn while driving as so many other people I drive past seem to do. 

Honestly, I have this conspiracy theory that all of the texts, blogs, e-books, emails, and other postings are actually being accumulated by some Intelligence (with the capital I) and will be used as the thoughts and life-force to bring "it" to life.

And then what? A mega-intelligent force capable of crying over the break up of a starlite and her baby's daddy? A toaster with the IQ of 180 capable of cooking just the perfect recipe for your 4 guests in a microwave with just 3 ingredients and 10 minute prep time?

OK, this from a blog.

I can't wait to hear what Abbey has to say. She is wonderful and so energetic and I know she'll help me creep out of the dark ages ("I'm not dead yet!") and into the place I need to be to get what I want out of life; (for those of you who don't know me - it's having my books on the New York Times' Best Seller list.)

See you there!
Nov. 12, 2013
The Club at Eaglebrooke
1300 Eaglebrooke Blvd.

Lakeland, Florida 33813
 
No motorcycles (and I assume no horses?)
Slow down while driving, they usually have a motorcycle cop speed-check at the bend. (But they don't allow motorcycles....)
Tell the really nice guard at the gate that you are here for the Writers Group. Then keep on the road and eventually the Club is on your left. We meet in the conference room on your left inside the double doors. Usually.

No comments:

Post a Comment